[RC] Help - breathing problems when training (rather long) - Rides 2 Far

Friday I took him out to do a quick 10 miles in the middle of the  day.
I went 3.5 miles (1.5 of trotting) and stopped because he was  breathing
so> hard.  He was panting so hard that his whole body was shaking.The
outside temp. was 62 in the shade,
full> sun, and no wind, with a winter coat on him,

Sounds like our ride today. It's been really cold for the last few weeks,
but today hit low 60's. Happens every year...February gives us Yankee
Summer. We get all excited, go riding in our shirt sleeves and the horses
show up in their parkas. :-P

By the time we'd walked up the first hillclimb my daughter's horse was
blowing like a steam engine. They still wanted (from habit I guess) to
trot where we usually trot, canter where they usually canter, but WHEW
were they blowing. I've got to admit, it was the most relaxing ride I've
been on since last Fall. Kaboot wanted to be stupid I'm sure but he built
up heat so fast that I had a very nicely mannered horse.

There's one long hill (1/2 mile at least) along the grassy shoulder of
the road on top of the mountain that is pretty much the only place I ever
let him run wide open. I got very physical and held him back the first
half then said, "O.K. Mr.  Meltdown, have fun" and let him do the last
1/2 like he wanted.  Let's just say, if there were any planes who
suffered from turbulance in this area today it was from my horse's
respiration for the rest of the ride as we turned and walked back down
the mountain. >g<  Several times as we walked along the crest he turned
and faced the breeze and just stopped for awhile. I felt like we were
still going because the whole saddle was rocking with his breathing.  He
was fine though. Grabbing grass, bright eyed and mischievous as
ever...with a *really* itchy head to boot.

Had I had more time to ride I wouldn't have let him get himself so hot,
but we had to be back in time for a program at church. If you're going
out for long I'd just avoid building up a lot of heat and sponge if you
get the chance.

Angie