Re: [RC] speaking of twh/mft - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 12/30/2003 8:40:07 PM Central Standard Time, tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

the gaited horses that do best in the sport are those that
develop an trot

My husband rides a 14.1h Paso Fino in LD, and he conditions with my friend and I a lot.  The 3 of us rode an LD together this past weekend as well.  His Paso has a wonderful gait and can fly along, but can't keep up with our Arabs when they really move out, although his horse can gait along with my gelding's slower/medium working trot now.  But he's taught his Paso to trot, and that little sucker can really haul butt!  His horse has a huge sloping shoulder and the trotting is teaching him to extend, which is transferring over into his gaiting, increasing the extension and speed there.  Hubby also discovered that his horse has a "big trot" one day while conditioning and trying to keep up with our Arabs...he said it was pretty cool.  Probably the only Paso with a "big trot" - or at least, with an owner who is happy about it!  <G>  That horse also just loves flying down the trail.

Dawn in East Texas