Re: [RC] When to call animal control? (This started as..) - Ibiteraaarr

I am the one who started this "thread" and it seems to be going in various directions. It seems that a few people are confused about my viewpoint on this, as perhaps my first email did not quite come across the right way. The fact is I have not seen this mare in months, as I don't make regular treks over there to "spy" on the situation. When I did see her, the mare was raggedy by my standards, but not skinny, and not lame. Her little corral has nothing to really graze on, so I imagine the grandparents are feeding her. What they feed her and how often, I have no clue. I have resisted all urges to question them further on their horse husbandry, as I couldn't justify offering an unwanted opinion when there wasn't any apparent danger or health problem to the horse.
       THAT SAID.....yes I think it's pathetic the way she lives. I know how I take care of my horses, and when I compare these two types of husbandry, I think that mare IS neglected. The people don't want to sell her because she belongs to the 5 year old, and even though he's not particularly interested in her, they won't get rid of her unless he says too. What makes me mad is that yes I think she could have a much better home with a child who's crazy about horses and would give ANYTHING to have his or her very own pony. I think there's a lot more to caring for the animal then just having her and feeding her and that is the frustrating part.
       The real problem, which is one that I seriously doubt would have any legal merit is that THEIR idea of taking care of a horse, and MY idea of taking care of a horse are two ENTIRELY DIFFERENT viewpoints. Theirs is the minimum, mine is above and beyond. I really do not know if they call a vet or a farrier. I don't know what they feed her, I don't know what attention they give her. I draw my conclusions based on what my friend has told me about how he's seen them take care of her, and I have bitten my tongue repeatedly in the past because I think they could do a better job. Are they actually abusing the animal? Neglecting the animal? By law, probably not.....by me...yes. The vaccinations I am angry about because as I've mentioned before we have a real problem with mosquitos and insect pests down here. Some diseases are transmitted by these very pests, and the fact that they seemingly approach the vaccination/disease issue in haphazard concern is frustrating to me as a fellow horse owner. I do my damndest to make sure my horses (and other pets) are up to date on shots and stay healthy. Am I supposed to feel ok about the possible risk to my horses because they don't know/care enough to take the same veterinary precautions? No we don't have EIA down here. We do have west nile. To me, their untreated animal is still a source of concern because the mare doesn't have to actually leave their property to spread disease.

I know this was long. Sorry I just wanted to clarify what exactly it is I'm frustrated about and perhaps explain myself a little better.

Liz