[RC] gastro guard -in response to Becky - Laura Hayes

Hi Becky- Yes, I am 'out here' - sometimes further out than others!!!

I suspected ulcers in Equal Terms and put her on a 6 week course of Cimetadine.  I used (6) 400 mg pills, 3x per day.  I saw a marked improvement in her weight, her outlook on life, and the 'gassy', slightly colicy problem I had. I broke the pills in half and dropped them on her grain.

Six weeks worth was about $70 from Butler.

I will put her back on Cimetadine soon and keep her on it long term, taking her off three days before rides.  I believe I am taking her to the 5 week long XP this summer, so I will have to play it by ear.  I am prepared to use neighlox also.

I am not out of the woods with this mare.  I am still debating whether to continue her career.  I have read too many devasting stories(and now written up two case histories of deaths for EN) lately and am pretty nervous about her slight bouts with colic.  I am starting her back this week to begin conditioning for this season -her third- she is 12.  I will start slowly with LSD, and continue careful feed management.

Interestingly she thrives on multidays, and actually seems to do better and feel better - is that because I am more attentive to her, or the traveling to a ride is more stressful than the actual riding?  I am not sure, but I would like her to do parts of the XP.  I have two other mares I am taking also.

Laura Hayes ARERC#2741