RE: [RC] When to call animal control? - ranch

A number of years ago in an attempt to get a Minnesota trail riders group to
enact a proper coggins test rule I did a careful literature search in the
primary literature.  This produced a file about 2" thick.  The bottom line is:.

1. Horses do get EIA when in close contact with infected horses, even the so
called "inapparent carriers"
2. Many, but not all, horses do die of the disease.
3. There is no other host except equids.
4. There is no vaccine.  There probably will not be one for the foreseeable
future.
5. Identification and slaughter is the only defense.

In MN there was a vet, who used to be associated with Dr. Coggins, who was
spreading all the BS about the disease not being fatal, and not being
transmissible by inapparent carriers.  She testified at a meeting that she had
done research showing that this was so.  I searched the literature and could
not find the articles.  I then wrote her a letter asking her to provide me with
either the reference or a reprint of the article.  She never replied.  I
therefore concluded that this work was never published, or did not exist.  By
the way, I made my living for 34 years as an industrial scientist and am proud
of the fact that I do know how to search the literature.  The computer time to
do this search probably cost my former employer $300-$400.

I still have the file somewhere.  If anyone really wants to study it, you can
send me an email and $0.15 per page for copying/shipping and I will mail you a
copy. It is interesting, but difficult reading.

Ed
Ed and Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875