Re: [RC] [RC] GOVERNMENT HORSE ID-From another list - Truman Prevatt

Tracking animals in the wild is quite common and at least one satellite based tracking system is used (ARGOS) in this effort by US Fish and Wildlife. I suspect that we will have some sort of tracking system for domastic animals since the technology is here. Given more international movement of livestock (and people) it is only a matter of time until "new" diseases start showing up like WNV did in the US about six years ago. There are a lot of nasty things out there that we don't have to worry with in the US, e.g. African horse sickness and I'd like to keep it that way or if it does get in to be able to rapidly identify the source and the contacts a.s.a.p. so it could be isolated and kept from spreading.

Alligators are cold blooded. I don't think the WNV will live in cold blooded animals so this may just be a Crock ;-).

Truamn

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani wrote:

There is currently a watch on deer and elk in the US and Canada who are victims of a cervid version of mad cow disease, Cervid Wasting Disease. It's been tracked back to a commercial elk business, but this kind of tracking would be easier with some kind of system in place. Likewise, they've had to backtrack those alligators in Idaho (?) who had WNV. Trying to keep a country free of disease is hard work...I think, on the whole, I'm rather glad that we just live with our bugs.

Maryanne
in cold but buggy Cairo (well, it's cold for us)