From: Jonni Jewell
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2003 3:19 PM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] GOVERNMENT HORSE ID-From another list

If you are going to take a stand on this one way or another, be sure to look
at and READ the 74 page pdf file explaining what this is about. Also, I feel
this site is a tad misleading, as it is not from the "government". Be sure
to look closely. This is a group that is working "with" different agencies.
Here is just the very beginning of that 74 page work plan. Read it, then
send in comments to them as requested. But please, don't think this is the
government 100% behind this. This plan is NOT just horses, but really, it
seems more an agricultural direction with bison, beef cattle, dairy cattle,
swine, sheep, goats, camelids (alpacas and llamas), horses, cervids (deer
and elk),poultry (eight species including game birds), and aquaculture
(eleven species) all in this plan. Here is the link to the work plan, and an
excerpt from it below.
Jonni

<http://usaip.info/US_AIP_Plan_Draft_092903_Ver_4_0_Master_.pdf>

"EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Protecting American animal agriculture by safeguarding animal health is
vital to the wellbeing of
all U. S. citizens. It promotes human health; provides wholesome, reliable,
and secure food
resources; mitigates national economic threats; and enhances a sustainable
environment.
Essential to achieving this goal is an efficient and effective animal
identification program.
Building upon previously established and successful animal health and animal
identification
programs involving many animal industries, an industry-state-federal
partnership, aided by the
National Institute for Animal Agriculture (NIAA), was formed in 2002 to more
uniformly
coordinate a national animal identification plan. This resulting plan,
requested by the United
States Animal Health Association (USAHA) and facilitated by USDA's Animal
and Plant Health
Inspection Service (APHIS), was formulated in 2003 for presentation at the
October, 2003
annual meeting of the USAHA. More than 100 animal industry and state-federal
government
professionals representing more than 70 allied associations/organizations
collectively assessed
and suggested workable improvements to the plan to meet future U. S. animal
identification
needs.
Fundamental to controlling any disease threat, foreign or domestic, to the
nation's animal
resources is to have a system that can identify individual animals or
groups, the premises where
they are located, and the date of entry to that premises. Further, in order
to achieve optimal
success in controlling or eradicating an animal health threat, the ability
to retrieve that
information within 48 hours of confirmation of a disease outbreak and to
implement intervention
strategies is necessary. The USAIP is focused on utilizing state-of-the-art
national and
international standards with the best available and practical technologies.
It is dynamic and
flexible, and will incorporate new and proven technologies as they become
available. States'
needs in implementing animal identification will receive priority within the
uniformity provided by
federal oversight.
The USAIP currently supports the following species and/or industries: bison,
beef cattle, dairy
cattle, swine, sheep, goats, camelids (alpacas and llamas), horses, cervids
(deer and elk),
poultry (eight species including game birds), and aquaculture (eleven
species). Implementation
will be in three phases: Phase I involves premises identification; Phase II
involves individual or
group/lot identification for interstate and intrastate commerce; and Phase
III involves retrofitting
remaining processing plants and markets and other industry segments with
appropriate
technology that will enhance our ability to track animals throughout the
livestock marketing
chain to protect and improve the health of the national herd. Initial
implementation will focus on
the cattle, swine, and small ruminant industries."