Re: [RC] ???horse problems??? - Barbara McCrary

Another possibility is that she is concerned about what is behind her.  Doing what you are asking of her, when she can't see what's behind her (such as another rider on his/her horse), takes her defense mechanism away from her.  My horse once refused to sidepass to close a gate, although he knew perfectly well how to do it.  He just wouldn't do it.   I thought about it a few seconds and then asked my riding partner to bring her horse around in FRONT of mine, so he could keep an eye on the other horse while closing the gate.  It worked like a charm.  If this situation is at all applicable to your circumstances, it's worth considering what is behind your mare when you are trying to mount.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] ???horse problems???

I pretty well use Barbara's method, but had one horse, who was anything but stupid.  She'd wait till I got all set to get on and move.**  Very similar to Charlie Brown and Lucy holding the football.  Well was advised to make this girl trot around when she refused to stand still.  I did.  After the first few times, she got antsier and antsier (if that's a word) at the mounting block, and eagerly looked forward to her trotting sessions.  My son, who was 13, came out with some wise words to the fact that I sucked as a trainer.  LOL!  Y'see the horse I was training is a Standardbred Trotter.  To her living was trotting.  :-}  That was her way of putting on the Ritz.

Susan

**Now I know that sometimes a horse who avoids being mounted is showing signs of back or other soreness, including improper saddle fit.  All this was investigated.