[RC] phases of being with a horse - LTYearwood

Hi Everyone,

When I first joined this list, I loved my Arabian Vashka and we had a good connection. But I needed help.

Vashka's hock was bad, his back was sore and I -- a 37-year-old woman on my first horse with two years of experience -- needed a lot of advice.

The peopel on this list led me in all kinds of directions. You didn't push me, though, and I was grateful. One woman even offerred for me to come to her house for the summer and ride the trails in Northern Florida. I ended up not being able to go.

But Vashka and I found our way.

This Christmas, he has come fully out of his old life as a used up show horse and into his new life as an endurance horse in training. This Christmas I know my horse -- barefoot and bitless -- is 100 percent sound. Most of the time you can find him hanging out with his girlfriend, Princess Leigh Leigh, and their adopted daughter Missie Lola (a tiny mini).

I dropped off ridecamp a few months ago and headed for the trails of suburban South Florida.

We won our first mini race -- don't laugh it was only 8 miles. But everyone noticed how proud Vashka looked. People say horses don't care when they win. I'm not so sure.

But you know how fragile the horse world can be. All but one of the friends I was riding with have either moved away, or found themselves unable to ride because they are working too many hours to pay the bills or their horses are now in a bad way. (And  let me not omit the one woman who just doesn't seem to want to ride with me anymore because I left her ranch and she hasn't forgiven me.)

Anyway.

I come back to this list feeling a bit isolated. I had a taste of what it was like to ride with companions, both two and four legged. And what it was like to be on this list and swap stories.

Riding alone can be lonely.

When I talk to you all I don't feel that way so much. Even though I haven't met one of you, I feel tapped into a bigger world.

You may have remembered me as the woman trying to get to Northern California. I was searching for somewhere progressive.  I gave up the dream for awhile, pushing myself to stay here because of work in Northern Florida. "Be practical," I told myself. But my heart kept telling me -- LISTEN TO ME.

So my house is up for sale again and I'm moving to California. This time for real. One single woman, one Arabian, one Beagle, two short-haired cats, one long-haired cat.

The house next door to me just sold. So I'm feeling the move is soon.

I don't know anyone in Northern California. But I'm from San Francisco. So the redwoods and the ocean are in my blood.

And you all will be here, sharing your passion and knowledge of riding.

So I know I won't really be alone.

Lori

Lori Teresa Yearwood
President