[RC] Traveller - rides2far

O.K. O.K. I found this good web page that describes Traveller. Apparently
his breeding was well documented. He was even shown before the war. They
never say the words "gaited" but I'm assuming you guys know what "Gray
Eagle" stock means and nobody was just guessing. :-) I pulled out some
interesting tidbits below. Sad that he made it through the whole war and
died for lack of a $3 tetenous shot. It did say he had a 5-6 mph walk on
a tight rein. So, I take back what I said about Robert E. doing CT. Too
fast. >eg<

Angie

http://www.civilwarhome.com/leeshorses.htm

    "He was raised by Mr. Johnston, near the Blue Sulphur Springs, in
Greenbrier county, Virginia (now West Virginia); was of the ' Gray Eagle'
stock, and, as a colt, took the first premium under the name of 'Jeff
Davis' at the Lewisburg fairs for each of the years 1859 and 1860. He was
four years old in the spring of 1861. When the Wise legion was encamped
on Sewell mountain, opposing the advance of the Federal Army under
Rosecranz, in the fall of 1861, I was major to the Third regiment of
infantry in that legion, and my brother, Captain Joseph M. Broun, was
quartermaster to the same regiment.
       "I authorized my brother to purchase a good serviceable horse of
the best Greenbrier stock for our use during the war.

I rode this horse, which was then greatly admired in camp for his rapid,
springy walk, his high spirit, bold carriage, and muscular strength.

At the second battle of Manassas, while General Lee was at the front
reconnoitering; dismounted and holding 'Traveller' by the bridle, the
horse became frightened at some movement of the enemy and plunging pulled
General Lee down on a stump, breaking both of his hands. The General went
through the remainder of that campaign chiefly in an ambulance

"In 1868 General Lee wrote to my brother, stating that this horse had
survived the war--was known as 'Traveller' (spelling the word with a
double l in good English style), and asking for its pedigree, which was
obtained, as above mentioned, and sent by my brother to General Lee."

Several years after the death of General Lee, 'Traveller,' who was turned
out for exercise and grazing during the day, accidentally got a nail in
one of his fore-feet; this occasioned lockjaw, from which he died despite
of every effort for his relief. He was buried in the grounds of
Washington and Lee University.

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!