[RC] loose stifles - Amy Martin

I have a question to anyone who may have experience with this.  I have a
horse with loose stifles, she has always had them but has never been lame
till the last 2 months.  She is a half Arab mare turning 5 this month.  I
have competed in about 6 novice CTRs and one limited distance endurance ride
this year.  One CTR was particularly wet, muddy, rocky ect and she has been
off in the left rear since then.  Many vet visits have diagnosed
intermittent locking patella which the therapy for is heavy conditioning at
the trot in straight lines.  She has clear stifle and hock x-rays and a
definite short strided hopping step in her left rear, I also think I notice
her moving with her left rear leg slightly externally rotated.  She has had
cortisone shots in both stifles to try to help reduce swelling there.  She
is regularly on cortiflex and had about a weeks worth of bute. I even had a
chiropractor out to adjust her which didn't help.  I am afraid to ride and
trot her when she is so lame and have been shirking the conditioning program
the vet recommended, it just seems wrong to me though I hate to second guess
a very good, well known vet.  I would gladly have thrown us full tilt into
more conditioning if not for the definite lameness.  I understand that the
muscles must strengthen to shorten the ligaments and stabilize the joint but
if there is inflammation and pain maybe the conditioning would do more
damage than good?  Any advice?  Amy Martin and Tequiza