From: Bob Morris [mailto:bobmorris@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 10:48 AM
To: David LeBlanc; steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] rules and protecting the horse

David, the problem that I see wit such a small statistical
sample is that the variables are so diverse that the small
sample will provide a skewed result. Just take to example of
the horse pulled for the metabolic reason of "colic" This is
a symptom not a cause but most riders are satisfied with the
diagnosis of colic. So, we can identify perhaps a half dozen
causes of colic. Then we have a multitude of other causes of
metabolic pulls. All in all I would venture we end up with at
least dozen reasons for a metabolic pull.

Now, do you take the first thirty metabolic pulls and call
this good? Your sample could consist of a maximum of three
horses exhibiting the same cause. Not very convincing from a
study point. In @003 we had approximately 400 horse pulled
for metabolic reasons. From elevated pulse to death. We need
to examine the majority of these cases to find the
similarities and the variables. Could be the tailoring
distance, could be the temperature, could be the rider attitude.

And speaking of rider attitude I believe the more successful
riders will exhibit the least number of pulls. Could be that
rider attitude is contributory.

We cannot find out with out a fair amount of data, I would
venture at least five times the number of possible causes.

I could be an interesting project and one that would produce
interesting conclusions.

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises