RE: [RC] rules and protecting the horse - Bob Morris

David:

You stated <<<I also think that horse death is too rare to
be a useful measure. You could
study endurance-related horse death for 5 years before you
got a big enough
sample to be significant. Metabolic pulls are more common,
and measures
taken to reduce metabolic pulls, and especially metabolic
pulls that require
treatment will help reduce preventable horse deaths.>>>

With metabolic pulls amounting to about 2% of the riders
entered in endurance competition, the number is still not
every large for analysis. The greater problem is that we
seldom, if ever, have knowledge of the extent of that
metabolic problem. It could be ranging from the simply did
not want to eat or drink to the total collapse of the horse.
The details for classification are missing.

I have proposed a mandatory 30 day rest for any horse that
experiences a metabolic pull. But riders protest that as to
strict. "what about my horse that just would not come down
to pulse criteria?" "It was OK the next day, why would I
need to rest it for 30 days?" Well, we have to draw the line
some place. The competitive venue, the ride site is not the
time or place to perform a full work up on the horse.

So, what do we do? We cannot intelligently asses the status
of the sport with out knowledge of the problems. We cannot
get this knowledge with out detail. We cannot get this
detain unless the riders, the Ride Managers and the Vets
co-operate in supplying it. A breakdown in any one of these
entities and the entire set is not valid.

Your Suggestions?

Bob

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises