[RC] re: mentoring to Carol and biodegradable spray paint to Susan - Cindy Collins

Carol, Once again you have misread me entirely!  I have mentored a lot of
riders, many with excited horses, and I've ridden horses that were
extremely difficult to control.  I've actually been given horses to ride
that no one else was willing to deal with.  Hopefully, my friend, Lauren,
will tell you that I've certainly ridden out with her when her mares have
been having a fit at the start, and she's done the same for me.  I've also
ridden with lots of scared, green riders on the Big Horn, even some that
contributed to me not completing.  More of them than I care to remember!
There is, however, a difference between an excited horse and one that is
crashing into other horses, kicking other horses and is totally unmannered
and has had no formal training and is dangerous to others.  If you are
really interested, I decided after about 15 broken bones and several
surgeries that I really was getting too old to get busted up so I started
taking dressage lessons on my endurance horses and it has made a HUGE
difference.  Both Valerie K. and Becky H. recommended this to me years
ago, but it took me awhile to take their excellent advice.  My horses
STILL get excited and act like jerks at the start of a ride, but they ARE
under control and I can move them laterally with ease and can rate them,
and that really helps.  Don't make assumptions about me, just ask for
clarification, please.

Susan, the paint idea is so funny to me after this year.  Actually
Crockett D. and Garrett F. both put me on to biodegradable spray paint in
1998.  I've used it very successfully on the BH until this year.  This
year we were reprimanded by both the USFS and BLM because they had so many
complaints about our paint from other users.  Still struggling with this!
BTW, what brand do you use?  Cindy