[RC] why ride an unfamiliar horse/tying down the boobs - Karen Bratcher

>>Another thing I question is someone who shows up to ride a horse for a "friend' that they've never been on<<

Maybe because the person just loves to RIDE... any horse, any day, any ride.  And is a good enough/confidant enough rider to jump on an unknown horse on ride morning and head down the trail.  Maybe her horse was off just before the ride weekend, or her truck or trailer broke down so she couldn't get her own horse to the ride, and she found someone willing to loan her a spare horse so she could do the ride anyway.

My first LD this year I met a spunky gal doing exactly that.  She usually used her sister's (I think it was) trailer but it was being used that weekend.  So she came to the ride anyway and asked everyone if they had a spare horse til she found one :-)  I applaud her spirit and toughness!

And re the snippy comment about >>what makes a big fat person, with boobs or belly flopping for 50 miles, enjoy that?<<.  I look at "those kind" of riders and realize 1) They're probably tougher than I am, and 2) If they can do it, maybe I can too!   And I'm sure the answer "why" is the same as above... BECAUSE THEY LOVE TO RIDE.  Thank goodness we don't all have to meet your standards of weight and fitness in order to enjoy riding.

I tried the "Hot Chillies" bra at a local running store -- didn't work for me -- it was very soft and stretchy and allowed way too much bounce when I jumped up and down to test it.  This was a couple years ago and manufacturers change things all the time, so it may have been improved since then.  The only bra that works for me (D verging on DD cup right now, I've been on Prednisone for a month and have really gotten, ah, voluptuous) is the Enell bra.  http://enell.com (no "www").  It's an expensive sucker but I've gotten a couple "seconds" nearly half off at their booth at a local running trade show, you could write and ask them if they have seconds available.  Believe me you won't move AT ALL in this bra.  I now call it the "Boob Masher 5000" after meeting another rider who refers to it that way ;-D  At first you'll feel like you're in a straitjacket, but you do get used to it.  I've worn it over 12 hours at a stretch, at the one 50 I did where we finished with only 20 minutes under the deadline, and it didn't chew me up; I also wore it the one time I walked a full 26.2 mile marathon (7 hours).  I wear it every time I ride, jog, or get on the tractor; it allows me to get on with the task at hand without painful distraction.

Karen Bratcher
Athol, Idaho