RE: [RC] What makes you do this? - Catfish Daniels

Hey Deb:

OK, I thought you were entitled to your opinion as someone new to this discipline, or possibly new to any sport horse discipline for that matter.  But your last sentence was just not cool, to re-direct any comments to another person – Howard in this case.  It just shows that for one, you appear to have a close mind and are not willing to learn – not even to the point that you welcome ANY answers coming your way.

Well, one would ask, “What would make a person write an e-mail like yours and not welcome any feedback”???  You know, Deb, I feel that it would take more than an e-mail to answer your questions.  There are countless books out there that you can read about Endurance, written by the best in the industry.  That’s if you care to learn.  You might try going to the show-ring and watch a bunch of pretty Arabs prance around if you think that this would suit a horse better.  Or, try going to a Grand Prix park.  Oh wait, I’m sure those horses don’t enjoy jumping over 7 foot fences either, right?  Let’s not even go to the race track.

Deb, most of the discussions, as I’m sure you’ve been lurking, has to do with the very same subject that you are venting about – people not identifying their horses’ limits and going beyond, and possibly hurting or even killing their horse.  If you have any constructive advice other than going on a 25 mile trail ride instead, I’m all ears.

Horses aside, have you ever wondered why people do an Ironman Triathlon?  Have you seen them stumble across the finish line?  It’s sport!!!!!  It’s Competition, and if done the right way, it can be damned healthy – JUST LIKE IN ENDURANCE!!!

I’m sorry that the ride you attended did not impress you, but I get the feeling that lots of it may have to do with lack of knowledge about this sport or any other sport for that matter.  Being out of breath and having an elevated heart rate is definitely not a bad thing to have after exercising – for humans and for horses!!!!!  So, here’s your answer from Catfish – striving to do a 100 before the end of this year!

Catfish