Re: [RC] Just Guessing - Howard Bramhall

There are some good guesses in there, Kat.  The thing is, I kind of disagree with your final conclusion.  I do think there are some excellent ideas out there that would help reduce the number of endurance related equine metabolic deaths.  I have a list:

1)  The pacer/mentor program, for newbies, is an excellent idea.  This is how we pass on the valuable knowledge that our experienced riders have to give to others.

2)  The "horse holiday" idea is another good one.  30 days is not a long period of time and if your horse is pulled at a ride, for metabolic reasons, that period of time is something a rider should do on their own anyway.

3)  Less distance between vet checks.  That one is a no brainer.  If a horse travels in our sport more than 20 miles before seeing a vet, we are just asking for trouble.

4)  We should develop a tier system (novice, intermediate, beginners) for both riders and horses.  A rider should not be allowed to go and do the TEvis ride, for example, without some prior completions and proven ability with a horse.  And, speaking of Tevis, if a ride is not forthcoming with the required information that the manager must pass on to AERC (which includes horse deaths and metabolic treatment) that ride should lose AERC sanctioning.  We are pussy footing around with Tevis because, it seems to me, we need them more than they need us.

5) Dr. Mackay-Smith has some valid ideas and reducing the time allowed for a horse to meet the required pulse (and this number should be lower, also) would require the rider to change their mindset if they plan on hot hoofing it at a ride.

6)  All AERC vets should have a valid license when practicing at an endurance ride.

7)  Horse log books should be a requirement.   I recently received an AERA horse log book and will go into detail of it's contents in another post.

I disagree with Kat's final conclusion in her post.  She's correct that we cannot stop horses from dying at our rides totally, but, I really do believe we can reduce their numbers.  Using any of the ideas I've listed above certainly won't increase their numbers and, unless we ever get the courage and say this is worth a try, make an attempt on our part, for the horse, we'll never really know if it would have changed a thing.

The basic thought behind some of those ideas is that the new rider will soon realize this sport is not a walk in the park.  We teach them everything they need to know before they attempt their first 100 miler.  We put them, and their horse, through a program that enforces the belief that the horse must be put ahead of any personal goals or achievements in the sport.  And, the fact, that they both have to earn the right to be called an endurance rider and an endurance horse (like the horse cares what you call him).

I realize we have some of those words stating how much we care about our horses in writing, somewhere, but, the fact of the matter is we need to reinforce those statements with actions.  I don't want to see endurance become Competitive Trail, but, I sure would like to see our metabolic death totals come close to their numbers.  Take a real good look at some of the ideas floating around concerning this topic before you totally discount them.  I'm convinced we can do better.

cya,
Howard