Re: [RC] [RC] Who REALLY knows ? - Truman Prevatt

The survey GPS units cost in the upwards to a 1000 dollars. They have much more efficient antennas and better (lower noise) electronics than the hand held uints. They are fairly accurate, however, the real time read outs are not all that accurate. The accuracy is obtained by downloading the position data (along with the error statistics concerning the fix based on the satellite signal strengths) in to a mapping program. This program now calculates your track. This tract can be used to estimate distance. This distance if fairly accurate - depending on which map database you use. The more expensive units have more memory and a larger sampling rate ( samples fixes are taken more often).

By using the highest resolution map database ( supplied by NIMA ) you can get very good track distance estimates. The realtime distance estimates even the good ones give are on the order of up to about 10% off - normally 10% short. Using the fix data and a map is much more accurate.

With some of the hand helds and a good mapping program you can do pretty good if you are careful to stop when you do not have space craft coverage and wait till you do. If you throw into too much data with marginal spacecraft coverage - you will be hosed.

The NAVSTAR GPS system was designed to provide accurate time transfer and accurate location information. That is what it does - all the rest is calcualted from this information. It is how it is calculated that determines the accuracy.

Truman

Catfish Daniels wrote:

Hi Tina,
Good point. I was so shocked at the discrepancies that I took my mountain bike and rode the same trails - or I should say, until I got stuck on a big hill and the sand was too deep. So I joined a friend of mine on his four wheeler and came up with the very same result. Let me point out, however, that my "double-checking" was really unnecessary, because as soon as you loose signal, or even receive a weak signal, which has only happened to me twice before (in places you don't really want to ride anyways), it beeps and your watch says "weak signal".

Anyway, hope this answers your question. :-)

Catfish