[RC] [Guest] Education- Competitive Trail riding, - Ridecamp Moderator

Marlene Buttrey Khasa02@xxxxxx
I can only speak from what I have seen at NATRC rides throughout the Southeast over the last 5 years. I have ridden about 1200 NATRC miles during that time, mostly on my Arabian mare, Copperhill Delight.

I have never seen a horse colicing, or being treated with IV's. I have never heard of any horse that died during or afterwards as a result of a NATRC ride. The only horse that I have seen treated was a quarter horse. She was slightly thumping, and she recovered very quickly with additional electrolytes and banamine. That was on a very hot and humid summers day. She was a well conditioned, seasoned open horse. I have seen her out on many, many rides, and that has not before or since happened to her again.

I ride open, and most or the open horses that I compete against are experienced trail horses, and very well conditioned for what we do. It is not unusual for us to travel 35 to 39 miles on Saturday. Less on Sunday totaling 60 miles over the two days.

There must be several reasons that explain why we do not see horses crashing or dieing in our sport. I think it is for several reasons.

You may know that all NATRC horses have to come down to a 48 pulse within 10 minutes at our P &R checks to keep from loosing points. This should be no problem for a conditioned horse. The Ride Vet will set an additional 10 minute mandatory "hold" for any horse that does not pulse down to a 64 or 68 within the 10 minutes (he sets that days rate depending on conditions such as heat and humidity). If they do not reach that requirement within 20 minutes that horse is pulled from competition, period. This is a big safety factor that keeps some of the inexperienced riders from overriding their horses. This should and must be one factor that catches horses before they crash.

I have seen or heard about several horses who were pulled at P &R checks this year. They were all novice or CP horses. They are usually trailered back to camp, where they can rest up.

In our region this year, most open minimum paces were set between 5.2 to 5.7 miles per hour ----Management set a few slower, taking into consideration heat and humidity when setting a pace. This is another good safety factor.

Some on Ride Camp have posted that in their experience at NATRC rides, perhaps many years ago, riders raced to the two mile marker then wait. That has not been my experience. Most of us, (open riders) pace toward our minimum time,
Yes, we will sometime get to the two mile marker and wait for a few minutes, ( me never more then 10 minutes). Riding to minimum time gives us room to make up time for possible wrong turns along the way, extra grazing time, water hole breaks and the like. And, I get to trot out on good ground.

Novice and Competitive Pleasure (CP) divisions are paced slower. Usually minimum is at 4 to 4.7 mph. At most rides, they mostly walk, with a little trotting on really good ground. They only travel about 20 miles per day, sometimes a bit more on Saturday. It is really long, well, not so long, slow distance.

I have not seen many of the folks that you mentioned who go after the overall breed awards. An exception is one fellow from the Midwest who rides Apps. putting on points for their owners. But, his practice has been to ride the same horse throughout a season, and the horse's I have seen him ride were well enough conditioned and more of what I would refer to as "leaner hunter types."

Angie, I know it is not for everyone, but it has been my experience that it really is a lot about teaching people how to care for their horses in a somewhat protected environment. The need to race factor has been removed.......... Me, I like to be judged, and, I must admit that I have learned a lot from some of the judges. Don't always agree with them, esp. the horsemanship but most of what they try to teach through their judging comments is about good, common sense horsemanship and caring for our horses well while covering some distance.

I may try a 50 one of these days. I have learned a lot about caring for Delight from the experience I have gained through NATRC and from the people there. However, I have no desire to race,

So for now, I will continue to ride NATRC open, and enjoy the trail,

Thank you for your inquiry. I respect AREC's efforts to try to understand what is happening to the horses who crash, and about what to do to make the sport safer for the horses.

Have a great day,

Marlene