Re: [RC] Competitive Trail Riding horses treated? - Dyane Smith

Angie wrote:
Since the open NATRC pace is not
that slow, and many of our horses who are having problems are not going
that fast...surely you all have had troubles too.  Any stats?
I don't have stats, just a one rat study.  Suni (Polish arab) did his first
CT (NATRC) in a course with very uneven pacing.  In NATRC in the mid-80's
the manager or whoever he could con into it rode the course to establish
pacing.  Sun wasn't conditioned for desert riding and I did not at all know
what I was doing, but his scores all day were excellent.  The vet even
called him "super horse" at a surprise vet check.  Around 1 1/2 hours after
coming in and after being vetted through with only a little soreness (put
his ears back to notice when the vet squeezed his pants muscles), he coliced
(sp?).  He only needed a shot of banamine but horses all over the camp were
being treated, some, if I remember right, were on IVs.

On his last ride, a 2 day 40 miles CTR, he coliced again.  Again after the
vet praised him for his condition (he was 12/6 the whole way).  Again, he
did not need more than a shot of banamine (and, to be fair, this was after I
trailered him 5 hours home), but still, in my mind, it raises questions
about whether there are rules that can protect all horses.

In my case, Sun needed to learn to drink on the trail.  I needed a way to
stay in camp the night after the last ride day so he could tank up and rest
before trailering home.

Anyway, Sun was never ridden fast.  These were novice rides.

My 2 cents.

Dyane