[RC] I'm okay, you're not so hot. - T.B.Pots

Wow, so much passion in these posts of late.

Some riders feel rules should be made and followed so that new riders can understand the reprecussions of over-riding their horse.

Others feel they are being stymied by more rules.

Some embrace the CTR way of thinking and want endurance to head in that direction, others want a separate sport.

One minute mentors are lauded and the next minute someone is asking what their credentials are.

As a newer-than-a-newbie to this sport (I've never done a ride or a CTR) I've been teaching myself as best I can via ridecamp and books and asking lots of questions.  However, my humble little opinion is that there are enough rules.  Don't make more.  Its not going to change a thing, just make more hassle and paperwork.  Rider education is the key.  Education at all levels of experience.  You are never too old or too young to learn about your horse's health.  AERC should focus on how best to get the message across to all riders what it takes to have a happy and healthy horse at the end of a ride, be it long or short.  Mentoring is wonderful in my way of thinking but forced mentoring is not.

Oh, and just to address my "Subject" line...no offense to anyone, I really don't feel I'm better than anyone else...it was just a silly way to get you all to read my post before hitting the delete button.

Tracy (climbing off my soapbox now).