From: "Cindy Collins" <ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <db8ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 10:55 AM
Subject: re: all of the proposals

I do not know if our board members are monitoring the Ridecamp
conversations, but I certainly hope they are.  I truly believe that many
of you discussing new rules would TRULY be happier in CT.  It is a
wonderful venue in its own right and if you feel as strongly as you appear
to about needing more external control over your competitive spirit, then
I am begging you to move over to CT and leave endurance riding in the USA
in peace. ( In my mind, I do not count FEI rides as part of endurance in
this country.  It is a whole other sport, related to us, but not what we
really stand for in AERC.)  This is not meant as an insult, just reality.
My questions remain:   1.  Which of these new rules would have saved a
horse at the Pan Ams from being treated?  2.  Why are Dave's XPs so
successful, with so few metabolic problems, with minimum vet control?  3.
Why is it so easy for this list to ignore the experience of veteran riders
who started horses on 100 milers with minimum rules, have ridden thousands
of miles with no dead horses and no metabolic treatments?  Do you really
believe they are JUST lucky?  That brings me to my final point...Howard, I
feel that you are often bashed and yet you truly do not understand WHY you
are the object of such wrath.  So, just to clarify what I think people are
feeling...You are a very inexperienced rider who has shown very poor
judgement and ability to control your own competitive impulses.  I do not
know this personally, but since everyone on this list is so drawn to
statistics, I am using yours from the AERC.  Therefore, when you are so
vocal about making new rules to limit the choices of the members who have
shown the ability to compete successfully in this sport, they are shocked
and appalled.  Perhaps it is felt that you are exactly the person who
should be in CT learning pacing and restraint, rather than changing the
face of endurance.  In no way is this meant arrogantly.  Tomorrow (well,
maybe in a few months since it's 20 degrees outside) I KNOW that I could
go to a ride and have a horse die.  However, I do have a "body of
evidence" that shows I am able to ride multiple horses (some that I had
never ridden until the day of the ride) successfully without harm.  So, I
must have some sense or "feel" for what it takes to get a horse through a
ride, happy and healthy, on a given day.  I'd like to see a little respect
for that ability, not only for myself, but for all of the other riders
like me that I hope I'm speaking for.  Cindy