[RC] Howard's rant to me - Lauren/Gary

Howard and others,

To quote you, " I speak my mind."  Well, so do I!  I call a spade a spade.
You certainly have the right to voice your opinion as well as I do.  I have
no objections to you speaking your mind. However, in all your "tirades" you
appear to me to be just grasping at straws with no real objectivity to
fixing the problem.

Don't EVER call me a rider out there eager to "earn those miles and points"
cause that isn't who I am. The fastest 50 I have ever done was around 7
hours so I am no speed demon. I am far more interested in the miles than
points.

I am offended that you think that I don't care about horses dying. Anyone
who knows me knows that that is my greatest fear. I have stated before and
will reiterate to you that any rule that the HWC comes up with that they
think will prevent deaths will be supported by me. They will have done the
research and will come up with something more "concrete" that they hope will
move us forward in preventing horses dying.  I am fortunate in that my
measly 950 miles I have never even come close to having a metabolic failure.
I am extremely  cautious with my horses and am far more interested in
finishing a ride with a happy, healthy horse than getting any points or top
tenning. No horse death is acceptable to me and especially one that I
"caused." Good grief. If I had happen to me what happened to you and Dance
Line I would probably have called it quits right then and there. It must
have been terrifying. I was terrified just reading your story. But, I have
to say, that you went and did it again with another horse. To me, something
is wrong with this picture and there is something that you just "don't get."

And, by the way, I have "mentored" some other riders. When with me, who
rides slowly and cautiously, they do fine. But, I had one friend who thought
we had gone too slow (10+ hr) (yeah, I'm a speed demon!) so on the next ride
(that I wasn't riding in) she had decided that she needed to speed up the
pace. Alas, not only did her horse get in metabolic trouble at the 25 mile
mark, she was also suffering from heat stroke herself. The horse did not
need treatment, but was monitored very closely by the vet and myself for
hours. I believe that she learned her lesson and will never do that again.

On a ride this past summer I saw a VERY experienced rider push his horse to
the edge on a 100 mile ride. This horse did need treatment. The horse lived
and no longer belongs to that rider. That rider was mentored by a high
profile rider who has repeatedly had horses die. Is that a good mentor?? Did
he learn his lesson? It's highly doubtful, considering his mentor's track
record.

Do new riders kill horses? Maybe. But, from my observation, it is the high
profile riders and "experienced" riders that this happens to more
frequently. Somebody must have the stats on this. I firmly believe that
there is "stuff going on" in the stomach that we just don't know how to
identify and when you have a stoic horse (I have one) that gives no
indication at the vet checks that something isn't right it is up to YOU to
"read your horse" and they will hopefully tell you in some other way that
you will listen to and recognize that he ADR.

And, I repeat my question, why does none of this happen on multi days??
Maybe we should just leave our horses in the pasture and just look at them
quietly grazing. If you like rules dictating the speed, etc. there is
already one out there called CTR and at the other end of the spectrum, one
called  FEI.  Perhaps you should consider trying CTR or try to qualify for
FEI rides.

So Howard, IF (and that's the really big question) new rules will truly
prevent horses from dying and still keep the "integrity" of the sport called
endurance, I'll be the first one on board. And Howard, I am not a flag
waving member of the "I hate Howard Club" (yet!) and I do believe that you
are passionate about this issue. But, I am getting really tired of all your
proselytizing.
Let's leave it to the HWC and see what they come up with. That's the end of
my tirade and I am truly not trying to offend anyone, Truman and Howard
included:)

Lauren
Double 8 Ranch
Cody, WY