[RC] [Guest] RETIRING IN MEXICO - Ridecamp Moderator

d ekhaml enduroarabians@xxxxxxxxx
Mary, (sorry Ridecampers, not endurance related-responding to prior post)
I lived in San Diego for 40 years and traveled to Baja extensively with my
boat on fishing/diving excursions (mostly Bahia De Los Angeles and Mulege
areas).  I loved it, but unfortunately things changed alot down south due
to the drug trade.  Quite a few Americans have retired in the border
communities and love it, but there are the horror stories too.  You cannot
buy land as a non-mexican/US citizen.  You can buy a lease (usually 20-30
years) but that may be revoked at any time and you forfeit your home!  The
lines to cross into the US are always a pain and if you plan on bringing
horses back and forth better have lots of paperwork.  Racehorses were
brought across all the time, but again, you are in a foreign country and if
they want them, well good luck.  I would never take my horses
across.  Robberies of Americano homes are much more common than in the days
when I went there.  That's one big reason I quit going; even in the little
fishing villages where you could leave your camp all day and not worry
about theft, well that changed and I didn't feel safe. Coming back one
trip, we stopped at a tiny restaurant (where we had been many times)near a
place called Catavina that was well known in the old Baja 1000 days.  There
was an American couple in the restaurant that were being held there after
the mexicans came and got them so they could keep an eye on them while a
drug plane was making a deal at the nearby landing strip. They had been
there all day.  We were just passing through, so we had no problem,  but I
sure didn't enjoy my meal!  You will get thrown in jail if you are caught
with a firearm.  I am not meaning to discourage you, just check VERY
CAREFULLY into EVERYTHING!  If you buy a lease, make sure the seller is the
actual owner too.  People have bought from non-owners (Rosarito Beach area)
only to lose their places.  And this was almost 10 years later.  You will
not find quality hay down there either.  They have a different mindset
toward animals in Mexico. The Bakeries are great, but don't expect good
fresh produce like in the States. On the up side, prices are still
reasonable even for beachside.  But what kind of riding are you looking
for?  Up and down a little stretch of beach or mountain trails?  There are
a couple "State Parks" but you will have to trailer.  Just remember always
that you are in a different country and do not have the rights and freedoms
afforded you here.  That is the trade off.  I have many fabulous memories
of great times in Baja.  I miss it sometimes.  Good luck in your
search,  Debbie