[RC] Another Church Story - Tom Noll

Greetings:

Some time ago my wife received this story in an email.  After reading
Howard's post yesterday, I though the story would be appropriate for
ridecamp.  I've edited and refined the story slightly, still the author is
unknown.

Happy Holidays,

Tom Noll
SW Idaho

________________________

An old man was riding his horse and walking his dog along a county road,
enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to the man that he had died.
He remembered dying, and realized too, that the dog had been dead for many
years and it had been a very long time since he'd ridden this horse.  He
wondered where the road would lead them, and continued onward.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the
road.  It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, a tall, white
arch that gleamed in the sunlight broke the marble wall.  As the man stood
before the arch, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like
mother of pearl, and the street that led through the gate looked like pure
gold.  He was pleased that he had finally arrived at heaven.  The man got
off to lead his horse and the he and the dog walked toward the gate.  As he
got closer, he saw someone sitting at a beautifully carved desk off to one
side.

When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, but is this heaven?"

"Yes, it is, sir," the man answered.

"It's magnificent!  Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked.

"Of course, sir.  Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right
up."  The gatekeeper gestured to his rear, and the huge gate began to open.

"I assume that my friends can come in," the man said, gesturing toward the
dog and horse.

The man at the desk replied, "I am sorry sir, we cannot accept your
animals -- animals are not allowed."

The man thought about it then thanked the gatekeeper, turned back toward the
road, and continued in the direction he had been going.  After another very
long walk and many long hills, he came to a dirt road, which led through a
farm gate.  If there had ever been a fence it was long gone, and it looked
as if the gate had never been closed, as grass had grown up around it.  As
he approached the gate, he saw a man just inside, sitting in the shade of a
tree in a rickety old chair, reading a book.

"Excuse me sir!" he called to the reader. "We've been traveling along this
road for a good distance and we are rather tired and thirsty.  Do you have
any water?"

"Yes, certainly, there's a pump over there" the man said, pointing to a
place that couldn't be seen from the road outside the gate.  "Come on in and
make yourself at home."

"How about my friends here?" the traveler gestured to his dog and horse.

"They're welcome too.  There's good grass near the well and there's a bowl
and a bucket by the pump," he said.

The man led the horse and dog through the farm gate and, sure enough, there
was an old-fashioned hand pump with a dipper hanging on it with a bowl and a
wooden bucket next to it on the ground.  The man led his horse to the grass,
filled the bucket for the horse, filled bowl for his dog, and then took a
long drink himself.  After he made sure that the dog and horse were
comfortable, he and the dog walked back toward the man, who was sitting
under the tree waiting for them.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "It certainly doesn't look like
heaven, and there's another man down the road who said that place was
heaven."

"Oh, you mean the place with the golden streets and pearly gates?"

"Yes, it was magnificent."

"Nope. That place is hell."

"Doesn't it offend you for them to use the name of heaven like that?"

"Well, I can see how you might think so, but actually it saves me a lot of
time.  That place screens out the people who are willing to leave their best
friends behind.

Author Unknown