[RC] Hopkins/Hidalgo - Linda B. Merims

>Albert Harris, in "The Blood of the Arab: the
>World's Greatest War  Horse",  devotes a chapter
>to Hidalgo. Harris includes several letters from Hopkins.

Charlotte, does Harris cite any independent sources
to verify Hopkins' story?

I was thinking.  If somebody actually wanted
to document the reality of this race, what
contemporary sources exist?  You'd need some
current day professor or archivist or Near
Eastern librarian who knows the first source
material from that era and that locale.  I
was checking in some of my old college books,
and one of the books cites a bunch of stuff
written post 1900, like a "Gazeteer" set of
yearbooks for 1908-1912 from somebody posted in
Aden, but nothing that goes back as far as 1890.

This is getting intriguing.  We've yet to
see anything that proves Mr. Hopkins' story,
except Mr. Hopkins telling it.  Who would I
call...Who would I call...

Incidentally, Ms. Smithyman's query demonstrates
that Bryer, at least, is getting ready to ride
whatever popularity wave the release of this
Disney film creates.  What is AERC doing?
What are all our local clubs doing?

Linda B. Merims
Massachusetts, USA