[RC] Rascal, the hackamore and 1st.Trailride - Laurie Durgin

Well after 3 rides in the arena and us trying to figure out the hackamore thing (mechnical, english ).I found:1.He stops alot better(always been a bugaboo in the snaffle), with less intense pressure(saves my back).2.)less lateral refinement(how can you do lateral work in a hackamore?) Luckily he has always been leg responsive, which stood me in good sted.3.)I can see where neckreining would be useful. We had worked on neckreining before and he had picked it up in the ring,easily. Even tried it on the trail a few times and if he isn't "in a hurry" he responded well.
So it was nice , quiet day (as in no 4 wheelers had been out our way).
So I thought , "what the heck, I can always get off". So out we headed. Loose rein, easy walk didn't want to go too far in case I had to hike back(as in he might freadk with the hack).I stopped him a couple times gently and let him graze a bit, trotted a bit. All was fine ,TILL the BIG TURNAROUND.(no dejavu, , but he occasionally tries "to go home h--ll bent for leather.Well this was one of those times.I had to slow him through some slippery mudder ruts and rocks and he started "fighting " me , again.I couldn't circle him because of the width and conditions on the section of trail we were on. So I had to resort to a tug and release .Wellit was either too harsh, or the hack was overwhelmiing to him, He started throwing his headand I believe taking tiny crowhops, such that as soon as we got out of the bad section I could turn himand dismount.
Ok, I walked about 1/2 mile, frustrated at first.Then as I walked I pondered ths situation. He reacted like he had when I used the pelham, long ago.Perhaps a curb chin was too harsh, maybe I should switch to the nylon strap and looser.Maybe I couldn't use a hack, because,1)it was too harsh and he fights rather than submit,2) or he is just hurt and is just reacting to too much pressure. Yet, he just may be being a brat and thinks he can get away with it.(he responed fine inthe arena)
This actually wasn't totally unexpected and (I wasn't really frightedned like I was before,just annoyed).It could also be this section of trail .Last year this was my favortite fast, sustained trotting section and he likes to go here anyway.Also close to "dinner time" always stinkier in the evening going toward home.Maybe I need to go back to the waterford after he gets his teeth fixed(if the vet ever sets up the appointment).
Anyway I decided I wasn't walking all the way home, so after my 1/2 mile , he was calm. I remounted and we walked loose reined, as if nothing had happened."you brat"I said, "what's the deal?" Then we did some circles and trotting, and turning around and trotting onthe rest of the way back , like nothing had happened (almost, he got a little excited,then I would turn him and reverse directions till he walked slowly).
Then the "GUN" went off, "Great, and it sounds like one of those black powder cannons he has". Neghbor and the arsenal he has, shoots 1-4 days a week and I have to pass his drive 50 feet from where he sits shooting. Rascal flinchedenough I decide to walk the last 1/2 mile, (they hear his shooting and are pretty used to it, but this was loud as a cannon,and they get jumpy when it's the really loud ones.)
So I haven't given up yet, will switch the chain with a looser strap and choose another trail. May also do more arena work in it.(has sheepskin cover leather noseband). It could just have been him testing it and "freaking"when I tightened it.
(note:We have been riding these trails for about 1.5 years now or maybe it's 2 now.But first time in a hackamore).
Laurie and Rascal(the maybe hacamore horse).