[RC] [Guest] newbie, GPS, saddles - Ridecamp Guest

Nancy Reed nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From Nancy Reed  Nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: GPS, saddles

I am new to the endurance world and want to thank each of you who has gone
before me.  Without your time and commitment endurance would not be what it
is today.
I have been reading all the GPS messages and totally enjoying them!  Yes a
wheel is the best way to measure distance, but aren't the new toys more fun?
My husband, a real mountain bike nut has used GPS for several years.  Every
Saturday my husband and his buddies would gather around the computer all
stinky, sweaty and full of poison oak after the Saturday ride.  Each has a
GPS, all info was loaded into the computer.  A couple of clicks, a few
minutes and voila, a beautiful full color, 3 D pic pops up on the screen
with all the calculations done.  Then of course the boys start to discuss
the ride.... you know.
Here is what my techno-geek hubby has to say about all of this.  It is the
Topo program that is most important.  The GPS has to be able to talk to the
Topo program, that's the tricky part.    The GPS unit will supply the info
and the program puts it all together.  He uses a Garmin Rino GPS and the
Topo program is called TOPO! that is published by National Geographic.
Hubby swears the Topo program makes the miles correct.
On another note I am seriously considering a Bob Marshall saddle.  I have 3
difficult to fit horses.  I've spent weeks looking for saddles to fit them.
I'm convinced a treeless saddle will save me from saddle hell!  Anyone w/
some wisdom on Bob Marshall saddles?  Thank you, Nancy, Elfin Forest,
California