[RC] Fever rings and ice in the south! - oddfarm

walkergirl said,"My suspicion is that these rings do not always indicate a
present or past problems."

True, but they are saying something. I rode Odd Todd hard for 3 rides in a row, ( a month apart) with shoes and he had 3 rings about a quarter of an inch apart. Isn't that odd? :)

The rides were fast and included some hard clay roads. The speed and condition of the trails were not easy on his feet. However, that didn't mean he was going to founder either, necessarily.

I saw a horse this past weekend at a ride that had very prominent rings/ridges in his feet. One of them had a severe crack horizontally on the front foot. The horse was also shod. We were commenting on this horse and noticed a shaved spot. IV plug said the owner. Not a story the rider cared to share. I am not sure the horse finished. The feet pretty much said it all.

I just rode  Looney Lance 105 miles in two weeks. Not fast, just training but the first ride was on hard packed roads. If he doesn't get rings around his hooves I won't be surprised. I am surprised that I didn't ring his neck!

By the way, those of you who didn't show up for Boy Scout in Georgia this weekend (WEENIES!) you missed a great ride.

It was 9 degrees Friday morning and about 17 degrees Saturday when we started. The horses had frost on their whiskers. We had frost on our shirts and in our hair where our breath was. We crossed water that had icebergs. It was great! Being from Florida, I have never seen anything like that!!

Odd Todd even got a few ice cuts. We did cruise the first two legs and still came in under 64. It was great for the horses. My ears were so numb I could have pierced them and never felt a thing!

The pipes on my trailer froze and didn't thaw until Saturday afternoon. Trainer Wendy had hot homemade soup for us at one of the holds. It was great! The fire ring sure did come in handy. Ahhh, life is good.

Why do we do this? Because we can.

Lisa Salas, The Odd FarM