Re: [RC] [RC] Farriers - DIANE L KNAPPER

Finding a good farrier is hard, no matter where you live. If you are in a more secluded area the search is even more difficult. I've been fortunate and in the last 6 years have had 2 farriers, both I trust completely. Left one because I moved out of his area, found a great one by referral from another distance rider. Lost him because I moved out of his area and ended up back with my first one. My only complaint with both of them was lack of communication. When I moved and they felt it was too far for them, they did not communicate that to me. They just simply didn't return my phone calls. The first time it happened, I was very angry. The next time, I called him left a message that I realized I was probably too far away and could he please recommend someone closer to my area. I received a call back that night with recommendations. This is not a blanket statement, so farriers please don't take offense. Lack of communication on the farriers part seems to be part of the problem. I know you are busy, you are running a business and are in great demand, however, your customers trust you and rely on your opinion. If you don't return calls or offer alternatives we are left in the dark feeling very frustrated. It is akin to moving and having to find a new dentist, ob/gyn or daycare. We may have just been a customer to you, but you were so much more to us.

Your comment about your farrier just never showing up again, more than likely had nothing to do with your horses behavior. It is more to do with them growing their business, getting more clients than they know what do with and not knowing how to handle culling clients. Maybe that should be a class in farrier school ~ how to cut an existing client lose? It can be done and for the farrier that knows how to do it properly, they will provide you with numbers of other farriers in your area.

So, I didn't help you find a new farrier. However, I wish you the best of luck. Remember, if you aren't getting a call back, leave a message with what you think may be wrong...travel distance and ask for referrals. You should be pleasantly surprised.

From: KristinSchuma@xxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Farriers
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:12:48 EST

Where/how in the world do you find a farrier that you can trust? I live in
North Central Wisconsin- there are a few farriers up here- but many of them I
do not trust to trim their fingernails let alone my horses feet. The latest
farrier I tried had a hard time pulling the shoes off of my gelding that had
toe clips on them. When I told her that, in the summer, I have the farrier
out at least every 6 weeks to reset (road riding really takes it's toll on
steel) I think she almost fainted. The last person I had was great- then for
some reason he just never showed up again (my horses are well behaved- I do
have 1 that really didn't like him but he never did anything stupid- like
kick the farrier).
Any suggestions on finding a good one? My other option is to haul a couple
of hours away to an endurance rider that is also a farrier (that option is
looking pretty good right now).
Thanks for the help!
Kristin
Noon, Whispor, and Sugar