Re: [RC] selenium - Heidi Smith

>Selenium deficiency also causes birth defects in cattle, so I would assume it may have similar effects on horses. My father had a calf born from a SE deficient cow. He couldn't straighten his front legs, or bend the fetlocks of his hind legs. Cute little guy, though. Dad kept him pampered in a padded stall until he was big enough to eat. Sold the cow to a dairy.

Angular limb deformities and contracture are indeed symptoms of selenium deficiency in newborn foals.  And while foals are less prone to white muscle disease than are calves, they can also succumb to that.  Pneumonias and diarrheas are more prevalent in selenium-deficient foals, just as they are in selenium-deficient calves, due to the inability of white blood cells to phagocytize bacteria.  It plays a part in fertility, likely also due to uterine clearance relative to the ability of WBC's to function.  Both mares and cows that are deficient also have a much higher incidence of retained placentas following foaling or calving.  In addition to the effects on white cells, selenium also serves as an antioxidant, which is an important issue in recovering from disease or injury.  It plays a role in muscle recovery as well (although not well defined to date) which is the main issue to our endurance horses.

Heidi