[RC] Accuracy of GPS - k s swigart

April said:

Yeah, I'm saying that if properly set up, the GPS will measure the
distance traveled into the ravine and out of it. If the GPS is taking a
waypoint measurement every 5 minutes instead of every 5 seconds, you're
going to get very different mileage. And the 5 second one is more
accurate because it will follow you down into the ravine.

No, it won't.  The GPS distance traveled measurement does
not take altitute into account in its calculations.  It
assumes a straight line between the two points on a flat
plane that it measures.  So it won't "follow you down into
the ravine" it will assume that each point it took (even if
it takes you longer than 5 seconds to get across) that you
were not going down and back up again, but rather that you
went "as the crow flies" between each of its measurements.

And it is a good thing that it does this, because it would
be significantly less accurate if it tried to take change in
altitude into consideration.  The altitude function of a GPS
unit is grossly undependable.  As an example, I was sitting
on the beach on harbor island in San Diego with my feet
dangling in the water at medium tide and while I was SITTING
there GOING NOWHERE, over a span of about five minutes it
told me that my altitude was anywhere between 50' and 90'
above sea level.

Obviously, with my feet IN the ocean I was AT sea level (it
can't be explained by the tides, tides in that area do not
vary that much, high tide is about 8' higher than low tide
and even so, it wasn't high tide).

Additionally, despite the fact that the GPS (as evidenced by
its constant changing of its reading of my altitude) did not
tell me that I was moving.  If it did take change in
elevation into account, it would have told me that I was
moving an average of 20'/second. (do the math, that works
out to just under a quarter of a mile per hour).

Which is different from what happened to me at the Fullerton
Train station (elevation about 300') on the same day.
Turned it on and while I was waiting for the train to take
me to San Diego to go sailing, and while I was standing
there it told me that my elevation was 5,680'---NOT EVEN
CLOSE.  And while I was standing there, not moving at all,
it told me that my speed was .6 MPH.  It wasn't the altitude
reading that was changing while I was standing there not
moving, it was the lat./long. measurements of my position
that were changing despite the fact that I wasn't moving at
all.

Since (between my trip to the docks I stopped at West Marine
who happened to have a rep from Garmin there talking about
how to use a GPS as a navigational aid...sailers are big
into navigation) the admitted accuracy of a hand held GPS is
"within about 15' on ocean, but within about 45' in hilly
terrain," in the area where I ride, a difference of 45' feet
(as the crow flies) would put you either at the top of a
ride or the bottom of a 500' ravine.

Further, you
have to guard against lost satellites. The antenna must be as high as
possible and have the largest view of the sky possible. The more
satellites the GPS can see, the more accurate the readings.

And therein lies the problem with the accuracy of much of
the use of them.  Every step that you move changes the
ability of the unit to "aquire" satellites.  And if I am
moving along riding a horse, the last thing in the world
that I'M going to be doing is making sure that my GPS unit
is still seeing enough satellites to be able to continuously
accurately gauge exactly where I am.  So I won't know if the
GPS has been "seeing" satellites all along, or if it has
been making assumptions (which is what it will do if it
can't see satellites).  These assumptions may or may not be
accurate assumptions.

As for Pigeon Mtn folks measuring the trail distance and putting up
markers on the GPS say-so...well, I don't have my doubts so much on the
accuracy of a properly used GPS, rather I have doubts on the knowledge
and ability of the user of the GPS. Just handing somebody a GPS and
saying go mark the trail without any education on how to properly do
that will result in inaccurate readings as well.

And therein lies the other problem with them.  It is,
indeed, true, that a tool is only as good as the idiot that
uses it.  Considering that most people are idiots :), if a
tool takes a rocket scientist to use it properly, then it
isn't a very good tool...especially if its proponents give
them to idiots to use.

I do think that used
properly a GPS is a very good tool for training. And it's not necessary
equipment either. But I like it. :)

And therein lies its advantage.  If it gives you slightly
inaccurate information along your training ride, it doesn't
matter.  Because the information itself is, as you admit,
"not necessary."

For me, in endurance riding, it comes under the heading of
"fun toy" (kind of like my heart rate monitor), as in, if
the fun toy gives me information that tells me something
that is way off from what I already know without having it,
I assume that the data coming from the device is wrong. :)

All this doesn't mean that the GPS isn't a REALLY handy tool
for navigating on a sail boat, especially since "within 15
feet" out on the ocean doesn't make a hill of beans of
difference.  It is also a better fix than anything else you
are going to get, which could also be said out in the hills.

A GPS isn't a useless piece of equipment, it just has its
limitations.  One being that it is of limited accuracy as it
moves into and out of terrain where it can "see" satellites
and one is that it requires a certain amount of expertise to
operate it properly (part of that expertise is understanding
its limitations and not using it in situations where it
matters if it is going to be inaccurate).

Ironically enough, the fact that a GPS is piss poor at
accurately determining altitude is not one of its major
limitations, since few, if any (there may be some, but I
have never seen one), of them use this altitude information
for anything other than display. And, it doesn't really make
all that much difference in the distance travelled
calculation to assume that the distance travelled was flat,
even if it wasn't.  Few people ever negotiate grades that
are more than about 10% and certainly not for extended
periods of time.  The average slope for most people riding
around these parts (which is pretty hilly) would probably be
between 2% and 4%, so that's how much (assuming all the
other calculations were accurate) the distance travelled
measurement would be "off" by.

Tevis, the grandmother of all "hilly courses" (with a total
of ~40,000 of elevation change...22,000 down and 18,000 up
in 100 miles) has an average grade of about 7%...so, if you
GPSed Tevis, and the GPS had perfect acquisition at every
turn in the trail (unlikely) and the Tevis trail actually is
exactly 100 miles (also unlikely), then the GPS would tell
you that you had gone about 93 miles because it wouldn't
take into account the average slope of ~7%.

However, few trails are a hilly as Tevis and even hilly
trails usually have long sections that are flat, which
brings the average slope down quickly, so rarely does change
in elevation make a big difference, despite the fact that
the GPS doesn't take that into consideration.  So while it
is an obvious limitation, April is right, it isn't a
particularly significant one.

kat
Orange County, Calif.