[RC] Is driving good for the riding horse? - Deblyons54

I trail ride and drive my horses. Driving doesn't seem to inhibit their movement at all. I do a fare amount of arena work and took dressage lessons for years on my favorite driving horse. There is also a driven dressage test. I think it actually improves them as trail horses as they never freak when things fall around their legs, get tangled in their tails, and get used to noisy things behind them, have to use a crupper, etc. An added benefit is that I've had numerous times that I couldn't ride due to illness and injury and driving kept my horses fit and me sane while I was healing.  It takes a lot less physical stamina and coordination to drive than to ride, and it's a heck of a lot less far to fall. It's also a great way to leg up a young horse without burdening their legs with lots of weight.