Re: [RC] Truck buying - Heidi Smith

>If at all possible, hook up a F150 with 2 horse trailer and 1 or 2 horses in it and go up a big hill and down the other side.....then try to borrow a friends 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks and do the same thing. Its like night and day!! .....you will see why most recommend a bigger truck to handle the load. Yes they are more money and bigger, etc. but they are worth every penny for you and your horse's safety.

Or perhaps even more relevant, hook up the same amount of weight (preferrably not live--it's bad enough to do this to horses in an emergency) to each one and get up to freeway speed, and jam on the brakes--and see how well you can STOP each load!  It's all well and good to say, oh, well, I can just go a little slower with the smaller rig on the hills, but it is when the lives of your horses depend on you to stop that it matters.

If you're broke--buy an older heavier model instead of the newer lighter truck.  I've been driving trucks from the 80's until last year, when I managed to upgrade to a 97 Powerstroke.  It only takes once of having to plant your rig in the middle of the freeway in a split second to make you want to get out and kiss your heavier truck on the hood!

Heidi