Re: [RC] RE:trucks - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: j marshall

I am new at this towing thing. does this mean that I shouldn't go anywhere because I can not afford a 3/4 ton truck? Is following the manufacture rules not good enough? Does driving a 1500 2002 Dodge ram with a two horse trailer and one horse aboard make me a poor horse parent, even though I am following my manufacturing guidelines?
I am not trying to be pain I am asking because I want to be safe and responsible to my four legged passenger.
Jen Marshall

** I don't know if I would totally trust manufacturing guidelines.  There is a difference between towing something stable (like a boat), and something with moving cargo (livestock).  Your four legged passenger is not the only thing you need to consider.  If your rig is not hitched right, or too trailer heavy, you might either blow, or fishtail into MY lane, causing a wreck for me.  If your truck brakes are not heavy duty enough to stop your whole rig when the traffic on the freeway comes to an abrupt halt, are  you going to crash into Me?

Many of the alternatives to 3/4 ton trucks do not have heavy duty brakes, or strong enough suspension or long enough wheelbase to safely tow.  You might be okay once you are up to speed, but it;s the stopping or slowing down that may be the problem.

I started out in an ancient 1/2 ton Dodge automatic, towing the perennial old Miley trailer....like a lot of folks. I did fine but the truck was a wreck waiting to happen.

Just some th oughts

Karen