From: sharp penny <penelope_75647@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   Training new horse----don't get too cocky!!!
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:16:33 -0800 (PST)

  I never ment to suggest that training a youngster
exclusively on the trails dosn't work....I tend to be very
cautious and am a bit of a horse control freak. For ME it
is safer and saner to do all my prep work in the field (I
don't have a formal arena either). When I get my youngster
out on the trail I want to know that I am 98% sure that my
horse understands the basics and will respond correctly to
that cue. Flat work developes and trains the thinking side
of the brain..if a horse isn't used to ignoring the
reactive side while engaging the thinking side when asked
then I, personally, feel very unsafe heading out on the
trail and just hopin' for the best. Just a little more
excitement than what I really want in my life...lol Once my
horse has his lessons firmly in place then I head out on
the trail to continue training. Yes, it can still get
exciting but atleast I know I have some tools in my
training tool box that I can pull out and successfully use
to get us through those exciting moments. Without a doubt,
flat work ad nauseum bores both horse and rider and can be
detrimental in the long run. As Rae said..ideally a good
mix of both field (ring) work and trail work makes for a
well rounded horse no matter what your horses career will
be.

Basically whatever works for you and your horse and you
feel safe and comfortable with is the right thing to do for
you. This is true with just about anything involving a
horse ;)

Regards,
Penny

--- Joan Ruprecht <jruprecht@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: We > have never had > rings etc. Just trails and beaches if you like them. > But we have allways > had experienced horses of our own to ride the babies > with. It does work. > > Joan > >

online games and music with a high-speed Internet connection! Prices start at less than $1 a day average. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)