Re: [RC] Training new horse----don't get too cocky!!! - Karen Sullivan

Oh,I know, and am much more a proponent of trail training than arena work.
Frankly, I just hate arena work!  It is a chore to do it, but with this very
good and patient person to help me, it is easy to follow directions, and
also points out where she needs additional work.

My youngster is very surefooted and balanced on the trail due to all the
ponying and running loose. Things she does not "get" yet, are giving to the
bit at the gaits (she will slow down or stop with a seat and light rein
cue), but she does not yet understand how to come up under herself and into
the bit; if I am explaining that right. IT means most of our work at a walk
and trot, she is still strung out; not carring herself lightly....which
bleeds over into it being hard to introduce the concept of leg yielding...as
unschooled as I am, I can easily tell the difference when she DOES get it
right!

Since I never send her to a professional trainer,and have been muddling
along dong this myself, I can see that there would be very little gained at
this point to pay someone to ride her out on the trail....but a lot to be
gained by having a professional teach her to move better off the leg,etc.

My retired, very cranky, hot and difficult Arab/walker was the kind of horse
I rode ":uphill" for the first two years I had her.  She could go all day,
usually arguing with me over speed, and I found all the long, steep hills in
the county to humble her! However, she had had two really great trainers in
her past, one Western cutting type, and one English. She was so well trained
you could put her anywhere with your legs; open gates, that sort of thing. I
REALLY had fun with it, and my goal with this horse (which cost me more as a
baby than any of my others), is to put that time and training into her to
the same degree if possible....

Another friend has a very nice Arab gelding she bought summer of 02. She
rides him almost every day on the trail,with the exception of one weekly
lesson with the same person.  The difference is remarkable, especially
compared to my youngster....