Re: [RC] Training new horse----don't get too cocky!! - Nancy Reed

When I was given Lyric I was told she had been in professional training for a year. I figured, heck no problem!  Let’s go ride.  Oh boy was I in for an education.  Lyric was only green broke.  She had only gone in circles on the flat.  She had no idea how to carry a rider up or down a hill, place her feet or keep a steady speed over varied terrain.  I do not have the money for a dressage trainer, due to the fact Lyric keeps growing out of her tack.  But we have learned together how to go down the trail safely, cross water, avoid snakes, ignore motorcycles (hubby helped with that) and bikes, love Becca our dog and watermelons.  I would not change anything we have done.  She is becoming a sane, safe and today heroic trail horse.

I took several young riders out on a trail ride this morning as the real trainer had the flu.  I put the least experienced rider on the most trustworthy horse, Sierra. I put the more experienced young rider on the other school horse, Titian.  My daughter (11 years old) was on Lyric and I was on an old campaigner who was bare foot and hadn’t been out much as of late.  For some reason Titian took off w/ his rider about 2/3rds into the ride.  My horse could not catch the leaders who were screaming but stayed on at a full gallop over a rocky hilly dirt road.  My daughter on Lyric was able to catch the second horse and stop them. With no herd following him Titian stopped and turned around.  We found a wasp on his sheath!  Lyric and my daughter saved 2 riders and 2 horses today.  They did me proud and I am thankful no one got hurt.  You never know what will happen to you when you go out your gate.

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California