RE: [RC] Training new horse----don't get too cocky!!! - Mike Sofen

I'm the opposite of your opposite...so if the first writer was at the North
Pole and you're at the South Pole, that makes me at the...West Pole?  Ok,
I'm only kind of opposite.

Out West, where mountain bikers are always riding like they were in the
Mario Andretti School of Biking, having a horse that knows his ground work
explicitly is pretty much a survival tactic.  I've had cyclists round a
blind corner on a single track downhill trail in a ravine and hit the brakes
hard...one stopped with his front wheel almost under my horse's nose...and
he stood there calmly because we had done our arena and desensitization
work.  On that trail, there was no place to go - steep uphill into thick
poison oak and trees, or steep downhill into...thick poison oak and trees
and rocks.  A green horse could have bolted, reared, and had other health
threatening reactions.

I definitely believe in schooling a green horse behind a seasoned horse on
the trails, and I want all of the basics in place first.

Mike Sofen
Santa Cruz, CA

I'm the opposite.I feel much safer getting them used to a rider o their back
on the trail. Once a horse will let me sit on his back I'll hop on him and
get in line on a heavily wooded single track trail behind steady horses. In
a ring or a field a young horse's mind just has so much room to
expand...inflate...then explode. On a narrow trail he seems to know his job
is just to follow the horse in front of him. I don't worry about a horse
blowing up and bucking and I can head him right up a mountain and take the
edge off first thing.  I've had them throw fits in an arena but going up a
mountain they're busy getting tired. :-) After that it would be nice to ride
them in an arena and get them *really* educated. If I ever have access to an
arena on a regular basis I might get an educated horse.

Angie (In the Appalachian mountains where any flat area big enough for an
arena has 4 bases and a pitcher's mound)
<<