[RC] roach back - Marlene Moss

Hi,

I am looking at a potential new mare for my husband.  She is 9, has done 2 50’s and hasn’t been ridden extensively recently, but she has been ridden regularly.  She is a nice moving horse and tends to be pretty forward.  We haven’t ridden her yet though.

My husband is a heavyweight and it looks like she has the potential to handle his weight, although we will work up slowly.  But she has a roach back.  It is not extreme – she’s in good weight so it doesn’t look real obvious.

I tried to find more info on the web and there wasn’t much – and what was found was conflicting.  Is there any reason a horse with a roach back should not be used for endurance or more particularly for a heavyweight?  We’ve been able to work with horses with longer, weaker backs and keep them in good shape – is there anything else we should do other than bring her along slowly and try to keep her back in good strength throughout the year?  Stace is a good rider and looks “light” in the saddle and she has been ridden by heavyweights before.

Are there any exercises that would be good for her?  I will probably have my vet/chiro come check her out, but I wasn’t planning on x-rays.  Would a roach back cause stress elsewhere (hocks for example) that would warrant a closer look?

This is really a nice looking mare in all other aspects and I think she has a lot of potential.  But we don’t want to do anything that would definitely be too much for her.

Thanks,

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Moss Rock Endurance Adventures