Re: [RC] Qualifying horses - Lysane Cree

When talking about qualifying a new horse, maybe we
should replace "LD" by "CTR". Now I'm just a rookie
and  probably don't know anything compared to some
people on ridecamp, but it seems to me that CTRs would
be a better learning experience for a new horse and
probably even more so for a new rider. CTRs offer a
whole experience that cannot be obtained in your
backyard, even if you do train religiously. It puts
your training to the test, beyond just motoring down
the trail.
O.k. I've learned enough to know that some people
can't stand all of the ways you can lose points at
CTR, but it really makes you conscious of what it
takes to get a horse through a ride safely and
especially how to pace your horse and your ride. And
there are 25 mile, 50 mile, 2 day 60 mile, 100 mile,
etc.... CTRs if you are worried about getting enough
distance on your horse. I know that all horses are not
necessarily suited to CTRs, but its certainly a
fantastic way to start. Then you can move on to
endurance if your horse is better suited for
endurance(or you just prefer to do endurance)

Just some thoughts...

Lysane
Subject: [RC]   [Guest] re: Qualifying horses

nicole luck tripleluckarabians333@xxxxxxxxxxx
Having to qualify a new horses by doing LDs is
certainly a load of crap. I
can do this and do so religiously in my own back
yard practically. Why
should have to drive and pay money for something I
do at home ALL the time?
If folks want to do LDs more power to them--there's
room in the AERC for
everyone. I train my horses at home for free---why
on earth should folks
that do their homework have to pay for other's
stupidity? We keep a
training log for every single horse we own. You can
buy a notebook for 89
cents. It doesn't take but a coupla minutes to write
down time, date,
length, and pace as well as how horse looked
afterwards. Not rocket science.