[RC] [Guest] Proposals & Qualifying Horses - Ridecamp Moderator

jeanne pepper pepperja@xxxxxxxxx
One thing we need to think about with the graduating system of qualifying (like the Australian system)is the benefit this will be to the horses coming into endurance. I know I always have a queasy feeling when I see a 5 year old on his first race coming in Top Ten on a 50,and often(but not always,and you know who you are!) being ridden by a new to the sport rider.I really think it could do no harm and alot of good to see that all new horses to the sport must complete shorter distances before they move up to 50's and 100's.I know there's a big group out there that says they NEVER start their horses in LD because they won't learn to pace themselves but from my experience that's a load of crap and those folks are just in a hurry to start gaining points on their new horse and don't want to take the time to train them.For me,endurance starts when I get on that new horse and if it takes years to get to the Top Ten, well that's just fine.And you know what?They always do!And as for the 15 minute recovery proposal,that works for me too.I'm not a person who wants alot of rules and I don't want to take racing out of endurance but it does seem crazy that we let anyone enter these races without a clue as to what they know about the sport.We need to protect all the horses that come to our events.Even if you've had years of experience with horses that doesn't mean you know anything about competing in endurance and we've all met people who've had a lifetime owning & riding horses who fall woefully short on any real knowlege of conditioning or riding a horse over distance.JMHO