Re: [RC] Fire victims...on the mend? - Tiffany D'Virgilio

Title: Re: Fire victims...on the mend?
on 11/24/03 9:32 AM, beth glover at bgloverhrsewmn@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I do not know if the riders in El Cajon, Descanso, San Bernardino (Devore) , have set up any relief "clearinghouse" for fellow equestrians.  I know that Alta Loma Riding club has an emergency group that helped a lot of people during the fire.  ( they have a cool website too, that you can find on google)  Perhaps if any of these local riding clubs are doing anything to help folks, they could post what they are doing, so their efforts are not duplicated, but resources are sent where they are most needed.

Yes, they do, and I am on it dressed as a saloon girl for our latest Founder's day parade. :) May I just say that the reason so many horses got out from this area so smoothly was the club. We had a plan and training in place for a long time and it worked great. My girlfriend was president of the club last year and is on the Emergency rescue team and I cannot say enough about the planning and executing of the plan that went on. All horse communities and clubs should have a plan like this in place.

My beautiful trails are gone-all that is left is charred stumps, charred rocks and ash for MILES out here. Virtually nothing left between here and devore, but grass is already sprouting from the recent rain. I was out on Saturday and the mountain lion made it through. He left a half mile of big and deep tracks through the silty, black mud that has flowed down. There is always a bright side, the silt and mud actually covered some of the rocky path, so we actually have some decent footing out there. And we can cut new trails since all the brush is gone.
Tiffany