Re: [RC] New Poll up - Joe Long

My real issue with the AERC on is comes down to one simple fact. We have a
"zero tolerance" drug policy, but somehow we are willing to accept deaths. If we
can take the moral high ground on drug use, why do we not take the moral high
ground on endurance related deaths?

Apples and oranges.  Performance-enhancing drugs are given deliberately,
³zero-tolerance² is a good approach to that problem.

Sure deaths will happen, however, that does not mean we have to find that state
of affairs acceptable and not work toward the elimination of deaths from
endurance rides. The sport will not get safer unless we make the commitment to
make it safer - the first step to that is a policy that states equine deaths at
endurance rides are unacceptable and build education programs, research
programs, vetting standards etc. based on that policy.

Truman, what sand do you have your head buried in?  The AERC has ALWAYS
worked toward elimination of equine fatalities, ALWAYS had a commitment to
make rides safer, has ALWAYS worked to improve vet controls!!!!!!!!!!!

Quit acting like this is a problem only you have discovered and no one else
is doing anything about.

And one more time:  if equine deaths at endurance rides are unacceptable,
then we must stop having endurance rides.  Period.  End of story.  Because
as long as we have endurance rides, there will be some (small) number of
equine fatalities ? so if we cannot accept that, we must stop having rides.
That¹s what ³unacceptable² means.