Re: [RC] necropsy (was New Poll) - Ibiteraaarr

       This has certainly been enlightening. Being a newbie with no experience and no real pull as far as an opinion, I still thought Heidi's post was one of the most informative yet since she offered a solution.
       If I understand her correctly, she suggested handing out information about necropsies for horses that die at rides. Why can't something similar be done for horses that are pulled for metabolic reasons, especially if the rider has been advised at more then one vet check to tone it down? I think this could be done diplomatically also, in that sometimes it is very obvious that a rider is pushing too hard and not listening to the advice he or she is getting, but not all riders are like that including riders who's horses have to be pulled. Instead of saying "Hey you're a crappy rider. Educate yourself before you bother to come back", offer the information as a voice of concern for the rider's horse. More along the idea of "Hey you're horse was in some trouble today. We want to keep everyone *and* their horses healthy and safe so here's some information that you might find helpful." If the rider really is a good concerned rider who made a miscalculation, then why would they be offended. If the rider really doesn't care, then why do you want those kinds of people at rides anyway? It could be a helpful tool for a caring rider, or a discouragement for the careless rider.
       This sort of goes back to the point that was made earlier in the forum about horse abuse. Many people pointed out that you can't legislate morality and that morality in this situation includes a rider knowing when his or her horse has had enough and has given all it can. At least this way, it gives you more "ammo" so-to-speak should you have to build a case of cruelty and rider misconduct God forbid it comes to that.
       This does seem tedious, and the information for riders is out there EVERYWHERE should they bother to look. Yeah it sucks to have to beat people over the head with information because they didn't bother to educate themselves. But if it saves a horse's life, isn't it worth the effort? Maybe this is a dumb idea that has no merit, and the Education Committee wouldn't want to be bothered with it. That's cool too. It was just a suggestion to hint at riders of pulled horses that they weren't quite prepared and they need to do a better job. My two cents. I'm off to look at a new truck this morning and a trailer this afternoon. Wish me luck!  :D

Regards,
Liz