[RC] Vet proposal comment on resting pulse - Howard Bramhall

In the November issue of Endurance News, the article is titled "FEI Vets Discuss Pan Ams and More," Dr. Beecher states," 90%, maybe 100% of all the horses that get sick at a ride have given the rider some indication that they are below par - an elevated heart rate, slower recoveries, not eating like normal...the list goes on.  Horses are living organisms with good days and bad days.  Even on bad days they will go to the wall for their rider.  Isn't it important we be cognizant of the changes in the horse and stand for them before they become a statistic?"

The vet checks are there for the horse; it's their best protection.  Could you imagine what our rides would be like if we did not have them?  And, since we have them, and we're still losing horses in the sport, wouldn't it be a good idea to lower the numbers (heart rate and pulse recovery time) that will prevent some of these deaths?  It's an idea whose time has come.

I don't understand what some folks are afraid of here.  This will save a horse's life that was not properly prepared or is having a bad day.  IF you have a horse that is fit, in shape, and prepared to do the distance you are asking from him, lower pulse rates and lower times will not stop you from getting that completion.  It will, however, stop a rider who is willing to continue on even though the horse is telling them they should not.

The horse has to come first here.  If we're unwilling to change, unwilling to make a sacrifice, what does that say about us?  Changes like this will not modify the intent of what endurance is.  It will continue to be challenging (this will even make it more so), it will continue to have no minimum time limit for completion, and, it will continue to be competitive.  The reason changes are needed is because our death rate and metabolic treatment rates are too high.

Those who resist change are now starting to compare our sport to thoroughbred racing.  They say, "Hey, look how many deaths are occurring on the track.  Our sport doesn't have near that many in numbers.  We're not doing all that badly.  Death is part of our sport and the only way to avoid that is to not compete."

I find that comparison abhorrent.  Who on earth wants endurance to be compared to the deaths that occur on the racetrack?  Why would you even want to put the two in the same sentence?  If that is who we are going to compare ourselves to we are in deep, deep trouble here.

Look, don't listen to me.  I'm a nobody who will openly admit I'm off the deep end when it comes to this issue.  I only ask that you do listen to Stagg Newman, Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, Nancy Loving, DVM, Matthew Mackay Smith, DVM, Dane Frazier, DVM, and the vets mentioned in the FEI Vets article. They have some ideas that would help correct all of this today.  The numbers (metabolic treatment, metabolic deaths) will start to come down, if we do something.  We can continue to study this for years, but, if we don't start making changes, changes that we could do right now at our vet checks that are already in place, those numbers will continue to remain where they are.  We just cannot allow that to continue.  We are not thoroughbred racing; we are better than that.

cya,
Howard