Re: [RC] New Poll up/What to Do? - DVeritas

In a message dated 11/20/2003 7:14:05 AM Mountain Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Bob is right--the only way to have zero casualties is to not ride.

I note the use of the word "casualties".
 Entry: ca·su·al·ty
Pronunciation:
'ka-zh&l-tE, 'kazh-w&l-, 'ka-zh&-w&l-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s):  plural -ties
Date: 15th century
1 : archaic : CHANCE, FORTUNE <losses that befall them by mere casualty —Sir Walter Raleigh>
2 : serious or fatal accident : DISASTER
3 a : a military person lost through death, wounds, injury, sickness, internment, or capture or through being missing in action b : a person or thing injured, lost, or destroyed : VICTIM <the ex-senator was a casualty of the last election>
    Out here, where the land is filled with large expanses of emptiness, horses can be found, now and again, lying dead.  They were doing nothing other than wandering the hills, eating where they could, drinking when it's available, turning their tails to the wind.
    Death is heartbreaking, but, yes, Bob, it is inevitable.
    Death due to use during a "sporting event", be it an NFL football game or an endurance race happens.
    Horses are not paid.
    Heck, they don't really even volunteer.
    They are able to be domesticated (to some degree, eh?), are fleet of foot, eager to use the gifts inherent in their physiology and psychology and, to some degree, seem to adapt to the artificial mode of existence we inflict on them.
    But, when a horse's performance reveals that finite point where their ability to adapt, to tolerate, to withstand is reached...it is reached.
    Recognizing the factors that define that point, especially during endurance endeavors, can be difficult for a lot of folks.
    I appreciate Matthew's juxtaposition of ENDURANCE QUALITY and ENDURANCE CAPACITY.
    Helping, in any way possible, to more clearly define that point, seems like the fair and considerate thing to do for the participants who don't drive the BIG truck, but drive the BIG dream.
    Do we need to continue trying to define that point?....in my estimation, I think so.
    Are there small, but perhaps significant, procedural methods we could employ at rides that might help?.....in my estimation, I think so.
    I still believe that the SYSTEM is not, and never will be regardless of method, able to keep horses from suffering, from dying.
    As competitive people, but still compassionate people, we could help minimize the cost...and the ugliness it reveals about our species.
---Frank