[RC] Kicking filly - Nina Vasiliev

Hi,

My new 3 1/2 yo morab filly does the same. I was wary about getting kicked so I took her to a trainer who showed me that she was uncomfortable with being touched in general. When we stoked her belly, she flinched a bit, when we stroked her legs, she flinched. So it made sense that when we picked up her feet, it was a kind of overload...and she pawed or kicked out.

We moved her into an arena, me holding the lead rope so that if she started kicking I could turn her to face me so I would be out of "reaction" range. The plan was to stroke her a lot. I stoked her belly, her legs, firmly but gently. Once she settled down, then I was to ask for her front foot. If she just cocked it up a touch, that was praised. If she pawed we continued to "bug her" with the request to pick up her front foot, (by pinching her chestnut.) Once again, when she settled down and held the foot up a touch, we backed off and gave lots of gentle praise.

The hind feet, the same thing, stoking a lot till she settled down. Then we asked for her foot by pinching her hock, gently, then with more pressure until we got some sort of response. If she kicked out, then she got slapped with the lead rope on the butt to move her hind quarters away. Then we stopped for a second till she was ready, (but didn't wait too long) and started stoking again. I stood very close to her, even touching her with my body so I was at less rick for being hurt by a kick. When I asked again, if she just kind of raked the air, but didn't kick out, I slid my hands up the the tendon just above her hock and pulled a bit. This took the "power" out of her movement. I kept stoking all the while. Soon she would cock her hoof to my request. So I stopped our session and gave her a carrot.

Then after one day of lots of short sessions, she held up her front foot high, all by herself for 20 seconds. The next time she offered me that, I held it briefly, then gently but it down and stoked her all over.

She is more sensitive on the hind feet, and I am wary, so I think it's going to take a while longer for the hinds. But this method gives her some responsibility...I ask, and she responds favorably. Rather than trying to force her to comply, which can put me at risk. And I am so thrilled that this is working. I was wondering how to train her since the "hold it till she stops fighting" method made me nervous about my chances of getting hurt, or being strong enough to to hold her foot if she struggled. But this way I am so jazzed that I'm safe and she is learning quickly.

This gentle method makes us both feel safe about our sessions. :-) What could be better than that?

Good luck,

Nina Vasiliev

Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping! No crowds, free parking. http://shopping.msn.com