[RC] on subject of trailer, rear tack - Karen Sullivan

Wondering how many of you that have rear tacks really like or use them.

My BP Silverado I just sold had one big rear gate and a huge front tack, with a wall I could swing open
into the horse area on camp trips or even remove.  I could haul 5 horses, and had a huge camper and sleep
whole family.  It was very, very quick to load and unload horses,and I could haul  tons of stuff......

IN interests of selling camper and downsizing, I found a great deal on gooseneck,very small but complete LQ; Silverlite, with back tack (collapsable) and three horse slant.  The trailer on the box is 18'6".I did not want to go any longer, so would not have bought a 3h sland with a mid tack, and never saw any used 2h slants with mid tacks either.,   I wanted one with stock sides, but not many of those out there (Icould have had one custom built for $$$), but the lightly used one was too good an price to pass up.  It has the drop down windows, grills, and slider windows behind the horsses,and a double back door.  Right now the windows are okay, since I do like being able to close up the entire trailer with it is raining (which I could do with a stock trailer and plexiglass), but I am just waiting for the day when the hinges, latches and rubber all need repair.....I really did like the simplicity of the Silverado.

Well, it seems that rear tack is a joke! It is SO tiny, and REALLY hard to get endurance saddles in and out, especially ones with front and rear packs....has no room for my STUFF (blanket bin, spare-stuff bin, tool box, electric fence charger and posts, grain, feedtubs,etc,etc).  I guess some of this stuff can go in the bed of the truck, but then will have to be lashed down

OR.....

I can haul to factory, have stud wall installed, move saddle rack to first stall, add bridle bar and hooks, and use the first stall as a mid-tack. With the back tack collapsed, I can still fit in 3 horses.

Has anyone done this?  Even opening that stud wall EVERY time to access the tack would be easier than dealing with the rear tack. For an additional $$$$$ I can have an escape door installed in the first stall, and use as a tack room door, but I doubt I would ever use it!  It would be one more darn door (with latches, rubber, etc) in the trailer.

I do also feel the rear tack makes it harder to load, although my horses have adapted.  There is still the possibility of being squished while loading a horse. I do not llke that narrower opening.

Any ideas?
Karen