Re: [RC] trailers (which way to face horses) - Sisu West Ranch

The controversy as to what is the best way to face horses has come up as
campfire talk for the last 30 years.  I have come to the conclusion that
there is probably no answer that is right all of the time.

I have hauled horses in straight load 2 horse, straight load stock trailer.
loose in stock trailer, and in slant load.  If tied in a stock trailer my
horses have stood slanted.  If free some but not all face backwards.

I have taken horses on 3000 mile trips in straight load stock trailer (4
horses so they could not stand slant) and similar trips in slant loads.
These horses have been both experienced with trailers and inexperienced.
None of them have had significant problems.  Note: None have started trips
with significant trailer phobias.

After a few days on the road all the horses settled down and did not exhibit
any of the "stress" indicators noted in the study.

I do try to trailer properly:

1. Train loading and unloading before travel so there is no stress from
that.
2. Maintain maximum ventilation.  I personally feel that a lot of people do
not allow enough venting.  I have trailered horses in a stock trailer in
Midwest winters with no blankets.  I do not close up the sides of my stock
trailer.  I tumbled to this when one February we went to pick up a filly in
Nebraska and take her to Wisconsin.  She had never had a blanket on in her
life, and had been raised outside in the Nebraska wind.  I did not want to
spook her with both a trailer ride and a blanket.  She arrived in WI with no
problems.
3. I try to minimize stress by starting, stopping, and cornering easy and
slow.  I suspect that many scramblers and nervous trailer riders are made by
the driver of the trailer.
4. I use electrolytes and rest stops liberally.
5. I am open to suggestions about better ways to haul them.

Ed

Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West
2994 Mittower Road